Why is my CPU load so high on my SharePoint front end server? This is what the customer asked me. Valid question I must say as the CPU fluctuated between the 50% and the 100%. The environment was very slowwwwww.
The investigation started:
- In the resource manager I noticed that the w3wp.exe was causing the CPU load.
- The event viewer contained a warning (Event Id: 3001) that occurred every 30 seconds which indicated that there was something wrong with a certain mysite
- The ULS logs gave me more info:
|High||Url Path: /my/<person>/overview.aspx|
|Exception||Exception information: Exception information: Microsoft.SharePoint.WebPartPages.WebPartException: Thread was being aborted. ---> System.Threading.ThreadAbortException: Thread was being aborted. at Microsoft.SharePoint.Portal.WebControls.AskMeAboutWebPart.RenderValues(HtmlTextWriter writer, Int32 startIndex, Int32 endIndex)|
So from the AskMeAboutWebPart webcontrol I decided to have a look at the users profile Ask me About property and noticed an ‘&’ sign in one the tags.
Solution: you guessed it: I removed that tag and performed an IISRESET
It could well be that this is already solved in one of the latest CU updates. I think I have read something about this but I couldn’t find it anymore. As soon as I do, I will update this post.